Our family spent the Labour Day long weekend in 2016 at Beavermead Campground, which is located right in Peterborough, Ontario. Because the campground is right in the City of Peterborough, it doesn’t have much of a rustic feel to it, but for some families, camping within a city can be reassuring, especially if it’s your first time out. We had a wonderful time together as a family and wanted to share with our readers our experience camping at Beavermead Campground in the form of a list!
Camping at Beavermead Campground: Six Reasons to Love this Campground
- The price was right and we were offered a deal! The price per night for our 30 amp serviced site was $52.00/night. We booked the site for three nights originally, but were offered the fourth night free as a promotional offer, so we took them up on that offer and stayed for the fourth night.
- The campground is an access point for the Trans-Canada Trail, as well as several other biking and hiking trails in Peterborough & the Kawarthas. My son and I walked/biked the 5 km loop that circles Little Lake one afternoon.
- There are two beaches within a short walking or biking distance that have lifeguards on duty during certain hours. The beaches were beautiful, clean and picturesque, with picnic tables nearby for lunch.
- The camp sites are situated within a main loop, which was perfect for our son to be able to ride his bike (carefully). This was a great opportunity for us to allow him some freedom and to earn our trust while riding his bike with other kids in an area that was not always within sight.
- Some of the sites at Beavermead, including ours, are situated on a tributary or the Otonobee River, which we loved. In the morning, there would be a misty fog rising off the water, and some ducks came up the bank to visit our site. We also saw a painted turtle sunning himself on a log, and the kids were able to catch minnows.
- Canoes are available for rent from the campground, and rentals included the paddles and life jackets. We rented a canoe for $11.00 for one hour and had a lovely time out together as a family on the calm water.
Would we recommend camping at Beavermead Campground?
Yes, Beavermead Campground is ideal for young families or people who want to go camping with the security of a city nearby. It’s also ideal for those who would like to take day trips to any of the local attractions in the Peterborough area. We would not recommend Beavermead Campground as a getaway for those who like more isolation from civilization while camping.
Would we return to Beavermead Campground?
Yes, after we’ve had a chance to experience some more rustic camping or if we wanted to get a quick camping fix that is close to home.