I couple of my sweet potatoes were starting to look a bit sad so I decided to make a soup out of them yesterday. You can use fresh garlic and ginger, or you can substitute for the ready-to-go stuff that comes in a jar or squeeze tube, like I did. I’m sure even powdered garlic and ginger would work fine, just use these to taste.
- 1 tbsp. virgin coconut oil (I like the coconut flavour)
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 small cooking onion, diced
- About 1 tbsp. of minced garlic
- About 1 tsp. minced ginger
- A generous sprinkle of turmeric
- Vegetable broth
- Sea salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, sauté the onion, garlic and ginger in coconut oil over medium heat until the onions begin to soften. Season with sea salt and fresh black pepper, to taste. Sprinkle turmeric into the pot and stir to coat.
- Add sweet potatoes and stir until coated with onion and seasonings.
- Cover mixture with broth and cover. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to minimum and simmer until sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Allow to cool slightly.
- Using an immersion blender, purée contents of the pot until smooth. If you like your soup to be less thick, add more broth until you reach the desired consistency.
This this sweet potato soup recipe resulted in a soup with more of a “zip” to it than I anticipated. It was delicious!